Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 176 - Old Phone, New SIM

Following this, I have finally upgraded my cellphone's SIM card. After 10 years. The lady at Globe (my cellphone service provider) even sorta laughed at me for having held on to my 10-year-old SIM card. I don't think she believed me about how old it was until she saw my actual SIM card and noted that the serial number on it started with "0200". The serial numbers of the SIM cards now are at "4200". What can I say? I hang on to material things.

Actually, it is kind of remarkable how my 0200 SIM card has survived the test of time. When my phone fell into the ocean in 2005 (4 years after I got it), my phone was ruined, but my SIM card was not. I've changed my cellphone unit twice since that time, and still my SIM card remains functional. If only Globe didn't deactivate some functions of the older SIM cards (like international roaming) and therefore force me to get a new one, I'd probably have the same SIM card for the next 10 years, provided nothing bad happens to it/me.

Also, in case anybody's curious, I've been using the same cellphone unit for 3 years. You'll see from the picture that it's all worn out because the color's faded on some keys. Now, if only changing cellphone units was the same as changing SIM cards (which is for free, BTW)...

No comments: