Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 89 - Not on the Menu

When my sister still lived here, she and her friends always used to eat at Cibo in ATC. So often that the waiters already knew them and could talk with them comfortably. Once, when they couldn't decide on what drink to order, the waiter recommended the Four Seasons fruit shake, which was basically a smoothie of four different fruits. Here's the catch: what four fruits they put in is subject to which fruit is available at the time you order it, so it could change at any time. Hence, it's not an item they put on the menu.

I like the unpredictability of little things like that, so I usually order this drink whenever I go to Cibo. This time, they mixed grape, watermelon, mango and strawberry. It was really yummy. :) But I've had a four seasons shake that had pineapple and pear before. That was yummy, too.

I like to think that this drink is a secret among Cibo and its loyal patrons, since it's not on the menu. And it reminds me of something that I probably read or heard somewhere -- that the best food/drinks in a restaurant are the ones that aren't on the menu. I think this may be some kind of proverb or double-meaning saying that says something about life, about how the best things in life are the ones that nobody tells you about, you know, the roads less traveled and things like that.

This particularly appeals to me, because I've long since believed that I'm not meant to have the life that people normally have. By that, I mean that people usually take this path: School-Work-Marriage-Kids. So far I've succeeded in only one of those things, school, but I don't really know if I want to succeed on the others. And I am including "work" in the others. By the way when I say "work", I mean, "work in a corporate environment". I don't know. I just don't think that that isn't the right path for me. Whatever. Why does a fruit shake suddenly make me think of these things?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Kaya ikaw Ida, magsumikap kaa!" Lol..

-obscure john & marsha quote

Anonymous said...

pero ang sarap ng itsura ng four seasons shake! i miss cibo rin!!

Ida said...

hahaha! kelan ka pa nanood ng john and marsha!?
kain ulit tayo sa cibo pag punta mo dito!! :D
o kaya magbukas dapat ng cibo dyan sa new zealand hehehe!